Saturday, June 14, 2008

learn, trust, be inspired


Ive learned a lot during my time in residency. Tons of things run through my mind as I begin to think of all the things Ive seen and experienced. A few things that stick out though are the times Ive spent with the team. Mainly Pastor Tim and Thomas who is also doing the residency with me. Ive been challenged by the things weve talked about its a bit like accountability. Ive also had the opportunity to speak on some Sunday mornings. I hope I never take for granted the responsibility that is carried when ask to speak from the Word or speak the Word. I feel a great need to have been with God, to have spent time in His presence. It is a privilege to speak because it requires me to get close to the word.
-----------switch it up-----------------
This weekend I was able to hang with a buddy of mine Chris Barnes. In the car on the way to grab a bite to eat we began to talk about the church in the city. Both Chris and I come from pretty straight theological backgrounds. Him PCA and I Southern Baptist. If these two are known for anything other than their differences of alcohol and predestination they are known for having a sound understanding and orthodox interpretation of scripture.
We talked about the need for "Spirit and Truth", a balance. Churches that we have noticed are successful and God is using in the City are ones that are both open to the work of the Holy Spirit and follow and hold to Gods word. We love our Word, the Scripture, but If God were to move in a way we were not used to we tend to push back.
To truly trust God and to rely fully on Him is all we need. We should hold firmly to His word the Bible which is perfect and flawless, but should only operate and depend on His power and be filled with the Holy Spirit. The Spirit empowers and inspires, gifts and teaches. We are to read the Word and have the Spirit teach it to us.

-c

No comments: